Joomla has released Joomla 1.6 Beta-1 today and we were quick to download a copy of it and install on it our test servers, to catch a glimpse of the improvements made in it.
We have spent only a couple of hours on it and gathered our initial observations on the same below:
- Admin user interface is no doubt more pleasant and is blue color based
- The frontend appears nicely loads fast too, but somehow the big black header did not go well with us
- SEF URLs are turned on by default in the Global configuration without enabling mod_rewrite and this introduced 404 errors for all pages. We had to rename htaccess to .htaccess and enable mod_rewrite to see nice looking SEF URLs
- Site frontend looks simple and surely more user friendly than Joomla 1.5’s
- Looks like work is still left on article meta data part. The published date shows a -1 in it!.
- It comes with a built-in sitemap. We are yet to explore this
- We gave a shot by trying to install JV-LD directly, and it installed!!!. But lots of things are missing too!!!!. Obviously components need to be modified to a good extent to make them compatible with Joomla 1.6!
Now coming to better things!
- A new CodeMirror editor has been introduced
- Ability to add Sitename to page titles
- Cookie domain and cookie path can now be set
- Unicode aliases can be set in SEF URLs
- Joomla 1.6 introduces the concept of user groups, actions and major tweaks to access levels
- Comes installed with following usergroups: public, manager, administrator, super users, registered, author, editor, publisher
- Comes installed with following actions that can be performed by usergroups in content (articles, components etc…): Site Login, Admin Login, Admin (gives max possible rights), Manage, Create, Delete, Edit, Edit State
- Permissions are given to usergroups for various actions. Permissions are inherited from parent group (if deny/allow is not set)
- There will be 4 states for an article: published, un-published, archived, trashed
- There are no more sections. Only categories. Categories can be created to any level now and not just 2.
We are digging more and will blog more, as we find more 🙂