We are happy to share with you some exciting news about the upcoming release of JV-LinkDirectory 5.16 and beta testing for the same.
We are starting the beta testing on April 17th and expect to run it for a couple of weeks. If you are an existing customer of JV-LinkDirectory and are keen in participating in the beta testing, then I request you to Enrol into Beta Testing of JV-LinkDirectory 5.16, and we will reach out to you by email with instructions to participate in the beta testing.
Now, let me share with you the new features and changes that are coming up in this version. We hope you will like the new features and changes. If so, we request you to give us a thumbs up by adding a comment.
New Configuration Options for Listing Block Display
One of the most frequently filed tickets in our help desk system is the request for customising and not showing certain fields in listing blocks in category pages. For example, some customers do not want to show hits icon, popular icon, tell a friend icon etc... This often led to creating template file overrides to achieve them.
In 5.16 version, we are adding configuration options in "Front-end Display Settings" - "Listing Block" to let you decide which icons to show and hide. Template file overrides are no longer required for these changes. This will be available for icons for both default and modern listing block designs.
Associating Listing Plan Selection with User groups
In the current version, users belonging to all user groups will be able to select any listing plan that is available. In 5.16 we are adding an option for you to restrict the availability of certain listing plans to specific user groups only. This setting will be available as part of the listing plan configuration. You can now allow a certain user group to select a few plans, while restricting a few other plans to certain user groups only.
Re-Design of Toolbar in Category Pages
We have made significant changes to the toolbar in category pages in site directory frontend. Toolbar is where your customers will typically search for listings in that category, filter listings by extra fields etc....
- If no user group is selected for showing field value in category and detail pages while creating or editing it, then it will automatically be set to Public user group, enabling everyone to see them.
- Search executed in a category will happen only inside the extra fields that are associated with all categories or with that specific category, and not in all extra fields.
- The user interface has been simplified for better responsive display. The toolbar title has been removed as it is intuitive.
- You can now decide to show the search, fields filtering and map filtering at category level. This means that these are now category specific options rather than global directory options. With this you can decide to show the filtering or search options in certain category pages, and choose to hide it in certain other category pages.
Empty Home Page Design
A new "Empty" Home page design option is now available for you to choose from the list of home page designs in configuration. This will be useful when you want to start with an empty directory home page and wish to publish Joomla modules in the home page in pre-defined Joomla positions. This gives you complete control on what you want to show in the directory home page.
Extend Directory Functionality with Custom Events
Though late in the game, we have now introduced a huge feature using which other 3rd party developers can extend the functionality of JV-LinkDirectory, and run custom routines for various events that happen in JV-LinkDirectory. We have enabled triggers for 38 different directory events that can be listened to. You and your developers can now write specific code to capture those events and do specific customisations as you need.
Following is the list of custom events available in the directory now. In the coming days, we will add detailed developer documentation on how to use them in source code.
- - onJvldSwitchPlanPayment
- - onJvldRenewListingPayment
- - onJvldFeaturedListingPayment
- - onJvldSetFeaturedLink
- - onJvldPinListingPayment
- - onJvldPinLink
- - onJvldCatSponsorPayment
- - onJvldCategorySponsor
- - onJvldRatingLink
- - onJvldAdvertisingPayment
- - onJvldPaidListingPayment
- - onJvldLikeUnlikeLink
- - onJvldLinkPublish
- - onJvldTellAFriend
- - onJvldCategorySuggest
- - onJvldReportBrokenLink
- - onJvldNewSiteRecommend
- - onJvldNewVideoUpload
- - onJvldInstallNewVersion
- - onJvldListingPhotoUpload
- - onJvldListingProfileUpdate
- - onJvldListingFileUpdate
- - onJvldListingCouponUpdate
- - onJvldLinkAfterSave
- - onJvldLecsAcceptInvite
- - onJvldCategorySponsorInfoUpdate
- - onJvldPartnerContact
- - onJvldListingAddBookmark
- - onJvldBeforeLinkDelete
- - onJvldNewLinkReviewPublish
- - onJvldBeforeListingCouponDelete
- - onJvldBeforeListingPhotoDelete
- - onJvldListingDeleteBookmark
- - onJvldLinkRejected
- - onJvldBeforeListingProfileDelete
- - onJvldUserClaimListing
- - onJvldListingMoveToRecycleBin
- - onJvldRunUtility
Integration with Joomla User Action Logs
One of the significant features that we are introducing in 5.16 version is the integration with Action Logs feature in Joomla. As of Joomla 3.9, Joomla introduced an action logging system. This system provides an infrastructure to create an audit log of activity performed on a website and can be fine tuned to the site admin's preferences.
In JV-LinkDirectory 5.16, we have enabled several different front-end and back-end user actions and events that happen in the directory to be logged and audited in the Joomla action logs.
Custom Fields Count in Add Listing Screen
One of the frequently asked requests from our customers is to display the number of custom fields that are available for listing plans when someone adds a listing in site front-end. This will help them select the appropriate listing plan as per their needs. We have added this feature in 5.16 version. Your users can even hover their mouse over the extra fields line and the fields that are available will be shown in the mouse hover!
'Sort by Distance' as Option in Category Pages
This is yet another handy and very useful feature that will make the directory really intuitive for your users. We have introduced the option to sort listings by distance in category pages. This option is now available in backend which can now be set as default if required.
When this is enabled, the user will be asked for permission to use their current location whenever they visit your website. If and once they give permission, and when they subsequently visit a category page in the directory, the listings will be sorted by distance from their current location and displayed!
Allow Same URL for Multiple Listings
This is yet another popular request from our customers where they can associate the same url with multiple listings. This was not possible earlier to prevent duplicate listings with same URL, but we understand that there can be situations when multiple listings belong to the same business entity and have the same URL. So we introduced the feature where you can allow or dis-allow listings with same URL.
Not just that, we expect that this can soon grow out of hand with several duplicate URLs for listings. So we decided to include a Duplicate URLs Utility in the Utilities section in backend. With this utility, you can now identify those URLs that repeat across multiple listings and display them to you. This can be used to audit them once in a while and take actions if required.
New Export and Import Utilities for Listings
We have introduced 2 new powerful utilities viz.
- Export JV-LinkDirectory Listings to CSV file - With this utility you can export all your listings with the most important information about each of them to a csv file which you can open using Excel or Numbers program.
- Import from CSV file and Update Listings - With this utility you can import listings data from a csv file into the directory, and the listings in the directory will be updated with info from the csv file.
Cache Refresh for Location Geo Coordinates
If you are using maps, then you must be generating or using geo coordinates to plot listings on the map. In JV-LinkDirectory, we cache the coordinate latitude and longitude information to reduce cost of calling geo coding services for you each time. This cache is refreshed every 30 days.
If you have tons of listings you might end up spending a lot of money when refreshing caches. So we have added a new option for you to decide and set how often you want to refresh and regenerate the cache. You can set it to "never refresh" or from 30, 60, 90, 180 and 365 days.
We heard you!
Most of the changes that we have introduced in this version are coming from your valuable feedback and requests via tickets. If you feel excited about these changes, you can even decide to Buy us a Coffee! and show us your appreciation of our work. :)