Most of the users are simply unaware of what a robots.txt file stands for. Well, when a search engine optimizer arrives at a particular website, it scans for a particular kind of file i.e. robots.txt file which helps it to decide, which of the pages in the website are worth displaying in the search results and which others should be ignored.
It is very hard for an individual to prevent his website from being spidered, especially when the site comprises multiple pages. Most of the people are ready to undergo the hassle of checking their page rankings constantly but will not install a robots.txt file in the HTML code of their website, simply because of the fact that SEO listings are not too friendly to robots.txt files.
It is easy to incorporate robots.txt file in one’s HTML code. Here are a few easy steps in which it can be done:
- Open the simple text editor in order to create a robots.txt file. The content of this particular type of file are known as “records”. This record contains of a user urgent line and a disallow line. The first line allows a particular command to take place while the second one will prevent from unnecessary actions from getting installed in the process too.
- The user agent names for the records can be easily found in the log files. Upon requesting for robots.txt files, all the log files will be displayed.
Some of the examples of robots.txt file include:
User-Agent: [Spider or Bot name]
Disallow: [Directory or File Name]
- However, it is easier said than done. When an individual tries to install robots.txt file, it is possible that some of the files are not indexed properly which might prevent them from being listed in the search engines altogether. In order to avoid this, follow the particular steps:
- Steer clear of commands in the file that you create. There is always a slight chance that the commands might confuse the search engine indexes.
- Make sure that there is no space left at the beginning of the command line.
- It should be made sure that the order of the commands is not changed under any circumstance.
- Also in the second Disallow line, only one directory should be used. Using more than one directory can again confuse the search engine listings.
- The records in the robots.txt file are case sensitive. Thus all the commands should be typed in the right case.
- Although there is the “Disallow” command in the second line of the record, there is no “Allow” command and care should be taken not to include one either. Examples include: