Dear JV-Extensions customer community and the whole Joomla community -
Joomla is one of the best content management systems in the CMS world using PHP. We have great regards and respect for OSM, the Joomla core team and the community of developers who are striving hard for improving Joomla constantly.
Joomla is one of the best content management systems in the CMS world using PHP. We have great regards and respect for OSM, the Joomla core team and the community of developers who are striving hard for improving Joomla constantly. But one of the differences we’ve had within the Joomla community has been with our licensing model. I am sure you would be aware of the thousands of posts and communications in the joomla forum, after they announced the decision to go GPL for 3PD extensions.
Joomla encouraged 3PD to develop extensions in non-GPL model in the initial stages, but offlate their decision for 3PD to comply with GPL, introduced lot of discussions with in the JV-Extensions team, to decide its future course of business.
We conducted surveys for over 5 months in the first part of 2009, to understand, what our customers feel about this announcement and what they think, JV-Extensions should be doing next. The survey was extremely successful, and following are its results:
- 98% of the customers feel that our products are of excellent quality
- 96% of the customers rated our support to be Excellent
- 63% of the customers encouraged us to go GPL, pledging their support to us
- More than 49% of the customers offered suggestions on possible business models and voiced support for us
At the end of the survey, we realized the strong customer base and trust, that we have built over a period of 2 years, with our high quality support and products.
So, after much deliberation within our team and partners, JV-Extensions has decided to move our licensing packages to GPL version 3, from our current model, latest by August 15th 2009.
Following are some of the other important accompanying decisions that we would like to announce:
- The next versions of all our products will be new version releases in GPL v3 licensing mode.
- JV-LinkExchanger Basic Edition will be rebranded as just "[B]JV-LinkExchanger[/B]" or "[B]JV-LE[/B]" in short, and will be completely for link exchanges.[LIST=1]
- JV-LE will not support one-way links.
- The next version will be JV-LinkExchanger 2.0
- The new version will be released on native mode of Joomla 1.5 and will be as good as the current JV-SE.
JV-LinkExchanger Standard Edition will be rebranded as "JV-LinkDirectory" or "JV-LD" and will support both link exchanges and directory features, as is today.
- The new major version will be JV-LinkDirectory 4.1
- Focus will be on getting JV-LinkDirectory to be the number one directory component for Joomla!
- JV-ContentLinks v3.0 will be released as is, with new features.
- JV-Relatives 3.0 will be released as is, with new features.
- JV-Extensions will not provide any releases of any of our products for Joomla 1.0 version from August 1st onwards.
- Paid support can be obtained for our products for Joomla 1.0 versions though, by contacting us
[/LIST][B]New Subscription Plans for GPL model[/B]:[LIST=1]
[*]New subscription plans are being worked out currently and we will be announcing them in this website by the end of this month.
[*]We will be upgrading current license holders to the equivalent subscription/lifetime membership plans as well.
[/LIST][URL="https://www.jv-extensions.com"]www.jv-extensions.com[/URL] will be taken offline a couple or more times, in this period, to re-arrange the forums, publish new licensing models, subscription plans etc... in the coming week.
[B]Here are some of the underlying reasons why we’re making this switch and being open and honest about it to all[/B]:[LIST=1]
[*][COLOR=purple]Ultimately, we want to do what’s best for Joomla[/COLOR] – Our business is built on Joomla and this is a strong signal of support from us, to say we love and embrace open source software and Joomla in particular
[*][COLOR=purple]We want to be a respected and valued member of the Joomla community[/COLOR] – We surely would not like to be exiled! (Read JED announcements on non-GPL 3PD). We started by contributing JV-LinkExchanger in March 2007 to Joomla, and we prefer to continue as contributors and be a part of Joomla, till Joomla exists
[*]We had great plans on numerous other extensions for Joomla, but due to license debates, we could not work on them. Now with the decision made, you can see lots of new contributions from JV-Extensions in the days to come.
[*]Confidence on our quality and support - We are very confident about the quality of products and support. This makes us believe that the change of business model, will not hamper our growth and business.
[*][COLOR=purple]And finally, the reciprocal effect [/COLOR]- Contribute to Joomla's growth and Joomla will help us grow, as it has, in the last 2 years.
[/LIST][B]What does this mean for past customers?[/B][LIST=1]
[*]You won’t notice or care about it because it won’t affect you.
[*][COLOR=navy]But essentially, it means you can use the purchased products on multiple websites and you’ll get the same high quality support we’ve offered in the past[/COLOR].
[*]All existing license holders of JV-SE, JV-ContentLinks and JV-Relatives will be automatically upgraded to the respective subscription/lifetime membership plans, based on the type of purchase.
[/LIST][B]What does this mean for future customers?[/B][LIST=1]
[*]Prices will be revised and you will have lots of more options to purchase our extensions and support.
[*]Downloads will still be charged and we will be introducing different types of subscription plans, which can be afforded by everyone.
What does this mean for prospective customers? Is it a loss if you buy our products between now and August 15th 2009?
- No. Infact your purchases will be converted to equivalent memberships once we go GPL.
- We encourage you to buy our extensions in this period, as you may even feel that they are better than the subscription plans :)
I’m sure there will be many questions and some concerns. We understand that and we’ll try our best to answer them as best we can. We sincerely hope that you will appreciate this decision of ours and will stand by us and support us as always.