Development of JV-Relatives 4.0 for Joomla! 1.6 has started at JV-Extensions and we find that, there are several changes to be made to the plugin due to the changes introduced in Joomla! 1.6. We will indicate the progress of this development in this blog and we request all our customers to generously comment on the development and help us in giving a better product.
Features that will be deprecated in JV-Relatives 4.0:
- show_in_frontpage – Should related articles be displayed in frontpage?
- This behaviour is not valid now, as related articles will be shown only when article is displayed in full in article pages and not in blog layout of several articles in a single page or so
- show_in_intro – Show related articles when the article’s intro is only shown
- This behaviour is not valid now, as Joomla 1.6 passes only “text” as context, for those articles which display intro in full in blog pages
- nometakeys_text – Show this message to admin, when no meta keys are configured for article, when he logs into frontend
- No such message will be displayed in JV-REL 4.0
- allow_sections – No sections anymore in Joomla 1.6
- There is no concept of sections anymore in Joomla 1.6
- static_content – Include static content in search for meta keyword matches
- There is no more concept of static content with ID as 0, in joomla 1.6. Even static content have an ID in Joomla 1.6. So they are just like other categories. In JV-Relatives 4.0, static content will be included by default in JV-REL 4.0
- sefpatch – Compatibility with SEF Patch
- This will not be available till, SEF Patch works with J1.6
- myblog – Compatibility with MyBlog
- This will not be available till, MyBlog works with J1.6
Some new features being planned for JV-REL 4.0:
- include_categories – comma separated list of category IDs, whose articles when displayed, JV-REL will check for related articles
- debug – option to show debug message above the article, when enabled.
- Configurable option to display or hide “Powered by JV-Relatives” text below the related items content. This option will be switched off by default.
Some of the above may undergo changes, as more RC versions are released for Joomla! 1.6 and other components, based on their compatibility and also on our development.
Some more major changes in JV-Relatives 4.0:
- JV-Relatives 4.0, will introduce a new component that will store the configuration data used by itself and the plugin to get related articles.
- We plan to create a single package installer and updater which will ease the installation and upgrade procedures.
We will update more in this blog, as we proceed with the development.